As a self-storage customer, your property is not insured by the self-storage facility you are renting at. Most facilities leases require that each tenant maintain insurance coverage on their stored property. Therefore, it is your responsibility to insure your stored property. You are not required to purchase insurance through the Bader Tenant Insurance Program (“Program”), but as a condition of the lease, you are required to maintain insurance coverage.

Some, but not all, homeowners’ and renters’ insurance policies cover property stored away from home in self-storage facilities. You should contact your insurance agent to confirm whether your current insurance policy will cover the property you store at the self-storage facility and ask your agent about applicable policy deductibles and exclusions.

The Program is underwritten by Pennsylvania Manufacturers’ Association Insurance Company (“PMAIC”) (A.M. Best Rating “A” Excellent) who has over 100 years of experience providing property & casualty insurance products.


Q. What does this insurance cover?
A. It protects you against damage to, or loss of, your property from 25 different causes, including Fire, Earthquake, Water Damage and Burglary. See your Summary of Coverage for a complete list of the covered causes.

Q. I received a Certificate of Insurance and Summary of Coverage from your company. What is it?
A. Your Certificate of Insurance and Summary of Coverage is your proof of the coverage selection you made when you enrolled in the program. It shows the amount of coverage you selected and also gives you a breakdown of covered causes. If you have questions about your Certificate or Summary, please call one of our licensed Customer Service Representatives at (888) 545-7627.

Q. How do I sign up for insurance?
A. Signing up for coverage is simple! For insurance on a storage unit, simply go to the leasing office and request a Bader Participation Form to complete.

Q. What types of property are eligible for coverage?
A. Many of the properties you own are eligible for coverage but there are limits. There ARE exclusions. Some of the exclusions are accounts, bills, firearms, currency, deeds, evidences of debt, securities, money, notes, animals, jewelry, watches, precious or semi-precious stones, furs and garments trimmed in fur. These items are not insurable under this policy. Coverage may also be declined on exotic, imported or high value contents. The policy is not designed to cover these types of items. Stated Value Insurance Policies are available from most local insurance agents for items like antique cars and other high value collectibles or antiques. Please note the above-mentioned list of exclusions is not a complete list of exclusions. Please refer to your Summary of Coverage for a complete list of exclusions.

Q. Is flood covered?
A. Just as with regular Home Owners policies, damage from flood, surface water, waves, tides, tidal waves, storm surge, overflow of any body of water, or their spray is not covered. Flood Insurance is available from the Federal Government.

Q. What is the difference between burglary and theft?
A. Burglary means stealing property by means of forcible entry into a securely locked storage space or unit, provided there are marks of forcible entry on the exterior storage space or unit. Theft does not require forcible entry. Theft and Mysterious Disappearance are not covered under this policy. The mere absence of a lock or padlock does not constitute visible marks of forced entry of a storage space.


Q. What do I do if I have a loss?
A. Notify the site manager (especially if there is damage to the building). Report break-ins to local police. Get the police report. Make a list of what is damaged. Take full view color pictures of the damages/unit. Be sure to include as much detail as you can, such as: make, model, year purchased, etc. Secure your property, and protect it from sustaining further damage. You can file your claim ONLINE or contact the CLAIMS DEPARTMENT at (855) 805-7433.

Q. What information do I need to have to report a claim?
A. We are committed to helping you report your claim as quickly as possible. The person who signed up for the insurance coverage (named certificate holder) is the individual who must file the claim. When filing a claim ONLINE please have a copy of your state or government issued photo ID, Police report/case number (for missing property), full view color photos of your storage unit and of all your damaged property, and an inventory list of damage/missing property, and any proof of ownership (i.e. receipts, owner’s manual, etc.) for damaged/missing property. When filing a claim telephonically please make sure you have your personal contact information, incident location information, incident report (i.e. police report), description of the incident, and an inventory list of property damage in the incident.

Q. What does the claims process involve?
A. You can file your claim one of two ways. Either ONLINE or telephonically by calling (855) 805-7433.

The ONLINE CLAIMS PROCESS generally includes:
1. Provide a written claim statement (you can review statement before submitting) with a copy of your state or government issued photo ID.
2. Provide a list of damaged/missing property (include description of items, where purchased, purchase month/years, original cost, payment method, what type of proof of ownership is being provided).
3. Upload proof of your loss or damage (i.e. receipts, owners’ manuals, serial/model numbers) and full view color photographs clearly showing the damage to each item being claimed.
4. If your loss involves a burglary to your storage unit, upload a full view color photo of the lock and key (if damaged).
5. Bader will verify the loss* and process your claim in a timely manner.

The TELEPHONIC CLAIMS PROCESS (call 855-805-7433) generally includes:
1. Provide a “recorded” claim statement.
2. Bader will email and mail claim documents for you to “complete,” sign and return with:
3. Proof of your loss or damage – for example, receipts, owners’ manuals, serial/model numbers, and /or color photographs clearly showing the damage to each item being claimed;
4. Color photos showing any physical damage (inside or outside) to your storage unit;
5. If your loss involves a burglary to your storage unit, upload a full view color photo of the lock and key (if damaged);
6. A copy of your last insurance premium payment receipt, prior to the date of loss;
7. Repair estimates for all electronics/appliances;
8. A copy of your photo identification or driver’s license (if your forms are not notarized).
9. Bader will verify the loss* and process your claim in a timely manner.

Sometimes additional information is needed to complete this process and verify your loss. If so, you may email
these forms to

*Bader will send an adjuster (if required) for catastrophic losses.